Are you looking for a new healthy way to prepare your chicken in record time? If you are then this Easy Mrs. Dash Instant Pot Chicken Breast recipe is perfect for you.
You can have this easy Weight Watchers Instant Pot Chicken recipe on the table in under 30 minutes.
During the week I get home late and like to keep dinner light and healthy. I try to have a protein with some veggies or a salad and chicken is my most favorite.
With an instant pot and some Mrs. Dash products you can make some amazing Weight Watcher friendly instant pot chicken recipes. Dash is the salt free alternative for spicing up your favorite meals.
This recipe is perfect to make on a Monday as you can fit 2 large chicken breasts in the Instant Pot which will create plenty of chicken leftovers for the rest of the week.
If you have any leftover chicken and want to try a perfect Weight Watchers leftover chicken recipe make sure you try this easy chicken noodle soup recipe.
Ingredients needed and substitutions:
- 2 Boneless Chicken Breasts - if you prefer dark meat chicken feel free to use 4 boneless chicken thighs.
- 1 Teaspoon of Italian Seasoning
- ¼ Teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon of Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning - I do not like to use Salt but if you do you can add a ½ teaspoon of salt for extra flavor.
- Note - If you do not have Mrs. Dash on Hand use ½ teaspoon of Garlic Powder and ½ a teaspoon of Onion Powder
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon of Minced Garlic
- 1 Cup of Chicken Stock - for a pinch healthier you can use a chicken bone broth.
- 1 Tablespoon of Corn Starch if you want to make this a keto instant pot chicken recipe switch the cornstarch for almond flour.
- 2 Tablespoons of Water
How to make this recipe:
1: In a small bowl mix together your Italian Seasoning, Black Pepper & Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb.
2: Sprinkle the Seasoning Mixture over the Chicken Breast Cutlets on all sides.
3: Remove the lid from your Instant Pot and Press the Saute Button and let that heat up for 2 minutes. Then add in your 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil.
4: Place your Seasoned Chicken breasts into the Instant Pot and brown them for about 3 minutes on each side.
5: Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set aside on a plate.
6: Add in your minced garlic now to the Instant Pot stir it around and let it brown slightly in the leftover oil for about 2 minutes, if there is no leftover oil you can add in another tablespoon. When it is browned turn off the Instant Pot.
7: Add in ¼ cup of the chicken stock to the Instant Pot and deglaze the bottom by scraping any cooked on bits with a wooden spoon. (Deglazing is a cooking technique for removing and dissolving browned food residue from a pan to flavor sauces).
8: Add remaining chicken stock to the Instant Pot.
What Kitchens tools do you need to make this Recipe?
You will only need the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Expert Tips:
- Don't overfill the pot - the total amount of food and liquid should not exceed the maximum level marked on the inner pot. Generally it is best not to fill the pot more than ⅔ full, when cooking foods that expand during cooking such as beans and grains, do not fill it more than half full.
- Never try to force the lid open after cooking - if the lid won't open, that means the pressure has not fully released. As a safety feature, the lid remains locked until the float valve drops down.
- Save thickeners for after the pressure cooking is done. Pressure cooker recipes often end up with a lot of flavorful liquid left in the pot when cooking is complete; flour or cornstarch mixtures can thicken these liquids into delicious sauces. Use the saute or brown function while incorporating the thickeners into the cooking liquid, and then cook and stir until the desired consistency is reached.
Wondering how the Instant Pot Cooks?
The Instant Pot is a Pressure Cooker. Liquid is heated in a heavy pot with a lid that locks and forms an airtight seal.
Since the steam from the hot liquid is trapped inside and can't evaporate the pressure increases and raises the boiling point of the contents in the pot, which allows food to cook faster at a higher temperature.
Basically pressure cooking can reduce cooking time to about one third of the time used in conventional cooking methods.
It takes only about 10 minutes for boneless chicken breasts to cook in an instant pot.
You will need ¼ cup of liquid in your instant pot to pressure cook your chicken breasts. You can use water or a chicken, vegetable or bone broth as well.
Once the instant pot is done with Manual/Pressure mode, it will beep so you know it is done cooking. Depending on your recipe, you'll do a natural release or a quick release. Some recipes with meat and chicken call for the natural release to keep the meat tender. Still not sure just use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of your chicken which should be 165 degrees.
One of the most common causes of rubbery chicken is cooking it too long. Chicken should be cooked quickly with relatively high heat. Since most boneless skinless breasts are not the same thickness, it is not easy to cook them evenly. The best way to avoid overcooking is to make the chicken the same thickness all around.
For this Mrs. Dash recipe I used boneless and skinless chicken breasts but if you prefer dark meat you can use boneless chicken thighs as well.
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you probably already know I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I like to point all of my Recipes with the WW Smart Points System.
This Mrs. Dash garlic and herb chicken recipe is 0 Points for Instant Pot Chicken breasts. A wonderful Weight Watchers low carb/low calorie recipe. Your typical KFC grilled chicken breast is 4 points, so even a healthy fast food choice is high in points making it worth the time to make it at home.
I used to go back and forth between the Purple Plan and the Blue Plan prior to the new program and whenever I hit a plateau I did my own 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which jumpstarted the Fat Burning again, so if you feel stuck try it!
Make sure check out my Newbie WW Tips and Tricks Guide if you are just getting started.
Don't forget a healthy dessert - Grab a copy of my FREE Easy Keto Desserts here...Print
This post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy here.
Grab a copy of my newest book from Amazon if you need an easy to follow Low Carb 30 Day Meal Plan to jump-start your weight-loss. Lose up to 5 lbs in the first week.