These super crispy baked keto onion rings with cheese are a dead ringer for the deep fried breaded variety and take less than 30 minutes to prepare.
Slicing onions into thick rings and baking them between a layer of shredded cheddar and mozzarella are the secrets to achieving the perfect keto onion ring recipe. A touch of buffalo seasoning adds a nice heat.
Simply use two donut pans for easy baking. I used silicone donut pans making it super easy to remove the keto onions rings after baking.
Pair them with a juicy lettuce wrapped turkey burger or a lean beef burger as a meal or serve them as a party appetizer at your next get together. Not only are they low carb onion rings but they can also pass for a bread less pizza.
Why make this cheesy onion ring recipe?
You don't want to miss out on this easy homemade keto appetizer!
Weight Watcher Friendly - Only 3 points for one extra large low carb onion ring on the WW Blue Plan if you use the reduced fat cheddar cheese. If you are not following the WW Blue plan just plug the ingredients into your WW app to determine your exact points.
A super low carb keto appetizer - that's not easy to find!
So easy to make - You only need 2 ingredients for these gluten free onion rings.
Kid Friendly - These baked onion rings are like mini pizzas with no crust..what kid doesn't love a mini pizza!
Budget Friendly - Costs less than $20.00 to prepare.
Ingredients needed and substitutions:
- Cheddar Cheese - I used a blend of reduced fat cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Feel free to use your favorite cheese.
- Sliced Onion - For this recipe I used a red onion and a yellow onion.
- Flavor God Seasonings - I used the Pizza, Buffalo and Everything Seasoning for this batch of healthy cheddar onion rings.
How to make this recipe:
1: Peel your onion and cut into ½ inch slices and separate into rings.
2: Spritz your donut pan with olive oil spray to prevent sticking. Now sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese into your donut ring.
3: Now add a raw onion ring on top of your shredded cheese.
4: Now sprinkle your shredded cheese on top of your onion ring covering it completely.
5: Once all your donut slots are filled with the ingredients sprinkle with your favorite seasoning and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees F.
6: Remove from oven, let cool and eat!
- If you are using the silicone donut sheets to prepare your homemade keto onion rings try sitting them on a baking pan this way they are easy to place in the oven and remove from the oven.
- For extra crispy onion rings try double baking them. Once you have removed them from the oven and cooled them. Take a couple of the onion rings and place them on a sheet of parchment paper in the air fryer for 5 minutes at 360 degrees and you will get the best onion cheese crisp.
- For any leftovers just freeze them in a Zip Loc bag. They are perfect as toppers for burgers. I like to place the frozen onion rings in the air fryer on top of my veggie burger..gourmet style!
- If you want a low carb breading for your onion rings you can just crush up pork rinds, dip your rings in an egg wash then dunk in almond flour for a low carb batter then back in the egg wash and then dip in the crushed pork rinds.
Check out my latest videos here:
Onions can be keto friendly if used in moderation. One cup of raw onion contains 12.4 g net carbs.
Typical fast food onion rings that are fried and breaded contain about 31 grams of carbohydrates for one portion which is about 8-9 rings.
A homemade keto onion ring will about 3.5 grams of carbohydrate per onion ring if you are using a low carb breading like pork rinds.
Onions are a great source of fiber, which makes it a powerful prebiotic food. It helps create a healthy gut, which is crucial for weight loss and stubborn belly fat loss.
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you probably already know I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I like to point all of my Recipes with the WW Smart Points System.
This Easy Homemade Keto Onion Ring Recipe is only 3 Points on my app for one serving. Weight Watchers has a new individualized program right now to make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight.
Just plug the ingredients into your WW app to confirm the points for your individual program.
I used to go back and forth between the Purple Plan and the Blue Plan prior to the new program and whenever I hit a plateau I did my own 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which you can get today for only $1.00 in digital format as a Spring Break special. Just click here for your Fat Burning Meal Plan.
This meal plan always helps me jumpstart the Fat Burning again, so if you feel stuck try it! This limited instant access is only for my blog visitors - get the digital version of my entire book for only $1.00 here.
Make sure check out my Newbie WW Tips and Tricks Guide if you are just getting started.
Make sure you grab a FREE copy of my Easy Keto Desserts Here...Print
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Grab a copy of my newest book from Amazon if you need an easy to follow Low Carb 30 Day Meal Plan to jump-start your weight-loss. Lose up to 5 lbs in the first week.
If you are impatient like me and want the book today, I am offering instant access to the digital version for $1.00 - just click here....