Do you love Crispy Breaded Mozzarella Sticks but want to cut carbs from your Diet?
These WW Breaded Low Carb Mozzarella sticks are keto friendly and super easy to make. They can be baked or air fried in under 10 minutes.
Wondering how you can make low carb breaded mozzarella sticks? The secret to Low Carb Breading is to make your own breadcrumbs.
It is not easy to find a low carb swap for breadcrumbs so you have to be creative and think outside the box.
Look for your favorite low carbs snacks and think about transforming them into a delicious coating, like Pork Rinds for example.
Pork Rinds make the best low carb breadcrumbs! Grab a couple of bags of Pork Rinds at Amazon or the local supermarket or Walmart. You can get a bag for under $2.00 so this is an inexpensive Keto Breadcrumb Swap.
Take a handful of the pork rinds and place them in your kitchen chopper and give it a couple of pulse's and you will have instant Keto friendly breadcrumbs.
If you want more low carb Weight Watcher snack ideas check out my Avocado Parmesan Crisps, Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie, Keto Carrot Cake, Sweet Potato Fritters or one of the most popular Jalapeno Poppers.
Why Make this Recipe?
You don't want to miss out on this super easy Low Carb Game Day Food recipe!
- Weight Watcher Friendly - Only 1 ½ Points in my WW points guide. Just plug the ingredients into your WW App to find your exact points they should be similar if not the same.
- Mouth watering low carb appetizer - that is not easy to find!
- Easy to make - Requires only 4 main ingredients and 5 minutes to prep.
- Kid Friendly - My mom friends feed their kids reduced fat mozzarella and cheddar cheese string sticks all the time for a healthy snack. Now you add a little low carb breading and bake them for 5 minutes...watch this become your kids new favorite after school snack.
- Budget Friendly - costs less than $20.00 to prepare these homemade baked mozzarella sticks.
- Aroma - when these keto fried cheese sticks start baking in the air fryer or oven they smell amazing...everyone in the house will be heading for the kitchen!
Ingredients Needed and Substitutions:
- One Pack of Organic Light String Cheese
- One Pack of Mild Cheddar Cheese Snack Sticks
- One Bag of Pork Rinds - crushed into breadcrumbs via food processor or your hands in a Ziplock Baggie
- 1 Egg slightly beaten
- ¼ Cup of Almond Flour or Coconut Flour
- Italian Seasoning for Extra Flavor if Desired
- Olive Oil
1: Unwrap your string cheese from the plastic wrap
2: Dip your cheese stick in the egg wash
3:Dip your cheese stick in the desired flour (either Almond or Coconut)
4: Now take your Cheese stick and dip it in the egg wash one more time.
5: Take your cheese stick and dip into the crushed Pork Rind Breadcrumbs.
6: Set your Breaded Cheese Sticks on a tray.
7: *** THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP*** Place your tray of breaded Cheese Sticks into the Freezer for 2 hours so they become frozen. They cook even better if you let them freeze overnight.
8: Once frozen remove from freezer and they are ready to cook - try them all different ways:
- Fry for 30 seconds in your Electric Fryer - set oil temp at 365 Degrees F
- Bake for 3-5 minutes in your Air Fryer -set temp at 330 Degrees
- Broil in the toaster oven for 4-5 minutes until Golden Brown
- Fry on the stovetop in a pan with a ¼ inch of Olive Oil on Medium heat for 5 Minutes turning gently with a spatula.
9: Ready to serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
- Make sure you freeze your homemade breaded mozzarella sticks for at least 2 hours so they become frozen before baking. They are even better when you freeze them overnight before baking.
- If you want to make a fun kid friendly batch of baked cheese sticks try crushing up a bag of Fuego Taki's and make baked Taki's cheese sticks. You can also crush up Flamin Hot Cheetos for some fun spicy Cheetos mozzarella sticks.
- Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese work best for preparing homemade baked cheese sticks. Both cheeses are low in carbs and easy to bread and bake.
Check out my latest videos here..
Mozzarella cheese has a total carb count of 1 gram per ounce making it a perfect keto friendly cheese.
Yes you can! Preheat your air fryer for 5 minutes, or use the preheat setting if you are using the Ninja Foodi air fryer. Sit the frozen mozzarella sticks in the air fryer basket in a single layer and air fry for 5 minutes at 360 F.
Your typical batch of frozen mozzarella sticks will take about 5-8 minutes to air fry depending on how crispy you like them. Set your temp at 360 F, preheat for 5 minutes then air fry for an additional 5 minutes.
The air fryer cooks them much quicker and they come out crispier and crunchy. In my opinion mozzarella sticks are better in the air fryer.
What do Pork Rind Breadcrumbs Taste Like?
They taste like the most flavorful Panko Breadcrumbs..crunchy..crispy...cracklin goodness!!
Can I make my own Low Carb Bread Crumbs?
Absolutely! I have a really great recipe for Keto Cornbread Stuffing that could be easily turned into Keto friendly Low Carb Breadcrumbs by crushing them in a mini food processor. Bake your favorite Low Carb Bread recipe and then toast your bread cubes and crush into your own homemade Keto Low Carb Breading.
How do I cook Low Carb Mozzarella Sticks?
You have a couple of different options for preparing your healthy Cheese Sticks.
- Fry in a quality Olive Oil
- Bake in the Oven or Toaster Oven
- Air Fry
What Kitchen tools do I need for this Mozzarella Stick Recipe?
You have a couple of options depending on how you want to prepare your Breaded Cheesesticks.
- An Electric Fryer is great for quick easy frying
- An Air Fryer for a lower calorie baking
- A Copper Chef pan for frying on the stovetop
- A Toaster Oven for Baking
How long does it take to bake my Cheesesticks in the Air Fryer?
If you are baking your Mozzarella Sticks or Baked Cheddar Cheese sticks in the Air Fryer they cook really fast. Set your Temperature to 330 and bake for 3-5 minutes. You need to check them frequently. If they cook too long or the temperature is too hot the cheese starts to melt really fast and leaks through the basket.
How long does it take to make Baked Mozzarella sticks and Baked Cheddar Sticks in the Toaster Oven?
When you are baking your Breaded Cheese Sticks in the toaster oven you can place them on the baking tray and set on Broil for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Super Easy!
How do I cook my Mozzarella Sticks and Breaded Cheddar Sticks in my Fryer?
Heat the Oil in your Fryer to 365 Degrees F and then fry until Golden Brown for about 30 seconds.
How do I Cook my Mozzarella Sticks and Cheddar Cheese Sticks on the Stovetop?
Use a 12 inch skillet and add about a ¼ inch of Olive Oil to your pan and heat over medium heat. Drop in your breaded cheese sticks and fry them gently rolling the sticks with a spatula to brown all all sides then remove and set aside.
I am on Weight Watchers can I make these?
Yes you sure can! I am a lifetime member of WW and like to incorporate Low Carb and Keto Recipes with the WW Smart Points system.
For a weight watchers version I used the Weight Watchers Mozzarella Sticks which were only 1 point each and the Pork Rinds are 2 points for ½ ounce which is good for about 4 mozzarella sticks. So you can count this as 1 ½ points per stick if you use the WW Mozzarella Sticks.
If you use a non WW Mozzarella stick or different cheese they are usually between 2-3 points per stick depending on the brand you would have to check the labels to calculate the exact points.
If you want to see the Weight Watcher Zero Point Free Food Lists just click here.
What is a Good Healthy Dipping Sauce for My Mozzarella Sticks?
- Low Carb Marinara Sauce
- Low Carb Ranch Dressing
- Sour Cream, Lime juice and Hot Sauce
- Dill Dip
P.S. Don't Forget Dessert ! Grab a FREE Copy of my Easy Keto Dessert Recipes Right Here...Print
If you want to try another Awesome Low Carb Snack click Here
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Grab a copy of my newest book from Amazon if you need an easy to follow Low Carb 30 Day Meal Plan to jump-start your weight-loss. Lose up to 5 lbs in the first week.