Greetings, my fellow food enthusiasts, Weight Watchers, and passionate pumpkin carvers! It's that time of the year when the crisp autumn air fills our lungs, and our kitchen aromas take on a warm and inviting embrace.
Halloween, with its eerie charm and delightful treats, is just around the corner. And what better way to celebrate this season than by transforming a leftover Halloween staple into a roasted pumpkin seeds recipe that is delectable and nutritious snack?
In this blog post, I'm excited to guide you through the journey of creating seasoned roasted pumpkin seeds fresh from the jack-o'-lantern you carve with your family.
As a food blogger, I'm always on the lookout for inventive ways to bring a touch of culinary magic to traditional favorites, all while keeping a mindful eye on health.
Pumpkin seeds, often an overlooked gem, are not only delicious but also packed with nutrients. They are a perfect snack for those following a Weight Watchers program or anyone wanting to satisfy their crunchy cravings in a healthier manner.
When you scoop out the slimy innards of your pumpkin, don't toss those seeds aside! With a little bit of creativity and some simple pantry staples, we can turn them into a scrumptious snack that's both festive and guilt-free.
Trust me; once you've tasted these seasoned roasted pumpkin seeds, you'll never see those discarded seeds the same way again.
So, grab your carving tools, your favorite seasonings, and let's embark on a culinary adventure that celebrates the essence of autumn and the spirit of Halloween while aligning with our health-conscious choices.
This roasted pumpkin seeds recipe is not just a treat for your taste buds; it's a treat for your well-being too. Let's dive in and uncover the secrets to making this crave-worthy snack.
If you love healthy low carb snacks make sure you check out my Three Ingredient Cinnamon Oat Muffins, Paleo Snickerdoodles, Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Cookie Bon Bons and my Keto Peanut Butter Cookies.
Why make this recipe?
You don't want to miss out on this easy roasted pumpkin seeds recipe!
Weight Watcher Friendly - This healthy pumpkin seed recipe is only 1 point for 1 tablespoon of roasted pumpkin seeds on my WW Plan.
Since the new Weight Watchers plan is personalized you will have to input the ingredients used into your WW app to get your exact points.
Easy to Make - This oven roasted pumpkin seed recipe requires only a handful of ingredients and 10 minutes of prep time.
Kid Friendly - Get ready for an exciting kitchen adventure with your little ones this fall! After carving those spooky jack-o'-lanterns or just prepping a pumpkin for your favorite fall recipes, don't let those seeds go to waste.
Roasting pumpkin seeds is not only a delicious and nutritious snack but also a fantastic activity to involve your kids in the kitchen.
Ingredients needed and substitutions
A Carved Pumpkin - In order to get those seeds you are going to need to carve your Jack O Lantern.
Seasonings - For this easy oven roasted pumpkin seed recipe I used Cinnamon & Sugar for a batch of sweet roasted pumpkin seeds.
I also did a second batch using Cumin,Sea Salt, Garlic Powder and Chili Powder for a spicy roasted pumpkin seed. You can season with your favorite..the ideas are endless!
How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds
1: After carving your pumpkin, scoop out the seeds along with the stringy pumpkin pulp. This part is especially fun for kids as they can get their hands dirty, separating the seeds from the gooey pumpkin bits.
2: Once you've gathered all the seeds, place them in a colander or fine-mesh strainer. Rinse them thoroughly under cold water, and make sure to remove any remaining pumpkin debris.
Then lay the seeds out on a clean kitchen towel or paper towels and pat them dry. It's an excellent opportunity for kids to practice their kitchen skills.
3: Preheat your oven to 300°F (150°C).
Place the dried seeds in a bowl and drizzle them with a tablespoon of melted butter. Sprinkle a pinch of salt to taste, and this is where you can get creative!
Add a dash of cinnamon and sugar for a sweet treat, or try cumin, chili powder and garlic powder for a savory twist. Let the kids choose their favorite flavorings.
4. Let your little chefs toss the seeds to ensure an even coating of the seasonings. They can even use their hands to mix it up!
Once the seeds are well-seasoned, spread them out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet in a single layer.
5: Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and let the seeds roast for about 30-40 minutes. Keep an eye on them and give them a stir every 10-15 minutes to ensure they cook evenly.
6: Once the seeds turn golden brown and are crispy, take them out of the oven. Allow them to cool for a few minutes. Now comes the best part – enjoy your homemade roasted pumpkin seeds with your family!
Watch the How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds Video Here..
Roasted pumpkin seeds with no added oil or seasoning: Approximately 126 calories per ounce (28 grams).
Transfer the cooled pumpkin seeds to an airtight container. A glass jar, plastic container, or a resealable plastic bag are all suitable options. Ensure the container or bag is clean and dry before use. Store the container of roasted pumpkin seeds in a cool, dry, and dark place. A pantry or a kitchen cabinet works well, as long as it's away from heat, humidity, and direct sunlight.
Put the seeds in a colander or strainer, then rinse them thoroughly under cold running water. Use your fingers to help separate any remaining bits of pumpkin. This step will also help remove excess sliminess from the seeds.
- Select fresh pumpkin seeds: Start with fresh, raw pumpkin seeds. You can harvest them from a pumpkin or purchase them from a store.
- Clean and rinse: Remove the pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin's cavity, and rinse them thoroughly under cold water. This helps remove any excess pumpkin flesh.
- Pat dry: After rinsing, pat the seeds dry with a paper towel. Make sure they are completely dry before moving on to the next step.
- Boil or soak: You can either boil the seeds in salted water for about 10 minutes or soak them in a brine solution (4 cups of water to ¼ cup of salt) for a few hours. This step helps to enhance flavor and makes the seeds easier to digest.
- Flavorful oil: Toss the seeds in a flavorful oil like olive oil, coconut oil, or melted butter. This will help the seasonings adhere better.
- Season generously: Sprinkle your favorite seasonings over the seeds. Some popular options include salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, or a combination of spices. Experiment with sweet or savory flavors to find your favorite.
- Add a sweet touch: If you prefer sweet pumpkin seeds, try a mixture of cinnamon and sugar, or honey and a pinch of sea salt.
- Spicy kick: For a spicy kick, add ingredients like cayenne pepper, chili powder, or hot sauce to the seeds.
- Fresh herbs: Chopped fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, or cilantro can add a unique and fresh flavor to your seeds.
- Citrus zest: Grate some citrus zest (lemon, lime, or orange) onto your seeds for a zesty twist.
- Nuts and seeds: Consider adding other nuts or seeds to the mix, like sunflower seeds or slivered almonds, to add texture and flavor.
- Even coating: Ensure the seeds are evenly coated with the seasoning and oil. You can do this in a large bowl and mix well.
- Preheat the oven: Preheat your oven to 300°F (150°C). A lower temperature helps prevent burning and allows for even cooking.
- Spread evenly: Spread the seasoned pumpkin seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. This prevents clumping and promotes even roasting.
- Roasting time: Roast the seeds for about 20-30 minutes or until they turn golden brown, stirring or flipping them occasionally to ensure even cooking.
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you probably already know I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I like to point all of my Recipes with the WW Points System.
This healthy pumpkin seed recipe is only 1 Point on my app for 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds.
Weight Watchers has a new individualized program right now to make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight.
Just plug the ingredients into your WW app to confirm the points for your individual program.
Make sure you check out my Newbie WW Tips and Tricks Guide if you are just getting started.
If you are planning to travel soon make sure you check out my 100 Tips for healthy eating on the go.
I used to go back and forth between the Purple Plan and the Blue Plan prior to the new program and whenever I hit a plateau I did my own 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which jumpstarts the Fat Burning again, so if you feel stuck try it!
Embark on a transformative culinary journey with '30 Days of Fat Burning Recipes,' a meticulously crafted guide written by the expert author and food blogger, Susan from Sueseaqpi.com. This comprehensive book seamlessly blends a 30-day meal plan with over 90 delectable low carb recipes, making it an indispensable companion for anyone looking to embrace the keto lifestyle. Susan not only demystifies the world of keto but also imparts invaluable lifestyle tips, acting as your trusted companion on the journey toward success in adopting a low carb lifestyle.
If you are impatient like me... blog visitors can get instant access to the digital download version today for only $1.00 just click here...
Don't forget to stay hydrated with a Hydrogen Water Bottle...
- On-the-Go Convenience: Our portable bottle lets you enjoy hydrogen water benefits anytime, anywhere, empowering you to prioritize your health no matter where life takes you.
- Unlock Athletic Excellence: Drinking hydrogen water can help reduce inflammation and improve recovery, ultimately boosting your athletic performance and helping you reach your fitness goals.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Want to stay connected? Make sure you hit SUBSCRIBE HERE...