This cast iron skillet chicken recipe has it all! A crispy coating on the outside, the perfect amount of infused spice as well as the most moist and tender meat on the inside.
Seared to perfection in only 10 minutes. This cooking method defies logic but the results are unbelievably good.
On the road to chicken perfection just grab a well seasoned cast-iron skillet, heat up your oil and cook the chicken until the coating is golden and crunchy, on one side then transfer it to the oven to cook the other side.
Slice your cast-iron chicken breast into thin strips and serve with mixed greens or use with low carb wraps to make healthy cast-iron skillet fajitas.
Make a batch of Smashed Brussel Sprouts for your side dish.
This cast iron pan chicken recipe comes out perfect every time! Keto and Diabetic friendly. So flavorful and juicy you will be making this recipe all the time. If you love this recipe you will also love my French Onion Chicken Bake Recipe!
Don't forget dessert! Make sure you grab a healthy sweet treat recipe for after dinner. These are my most popular - Low Calorie Wendy's Frosty, 3 Ingredient Cinnamon Muffins , Mini DASH Chaffles, Air Fryer Beignets and The WW Zero Point Apple Crisp Chips.
Why make this recipe?
You don't want to miss out on the best baked chicken breast recipe!
- Weight Watcher Friendly - Chicken breast is 0 points on my WW Plan and Avocado Oil is 1 point per teaspoon. Since the new Weight Watchers plan is personalized you will have to input the ingredients used to get your exact points.
- Mouth watering low calorie meal - Only 37 calories for 4 slices of cast iron chicken.
- Easy to make - requires only 7 simple ingredients and 10 minutes to prepare this keto friendly cast iron chicken breast recipe.
- Kid Friendly - Kids will love dipping these chicken strips. Flavored with the Trader Joe's Cheesy Seasoning Blend they won't be able to resist the parmesan crunch.
- Budget Friendly - costs less than $20.00 to prepare.
- Aroma - This one pan chicken breast recipe sizzling on the stovetop in the cast iron skillet will have your kitchen smelling like your favorite steakhouse..amazing!
Ingredients needed and substitutions:
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Avocado Oil - if you don't have avocado oil you can use peanut oil, canola oil, sunflower oil or sesame oil. These oils are all high smoke point oils which work best with cast iron skillets.
- Seasonings - I used Paprika, Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper and my favorite Trader Joe's Cheesy Seasoning but you can really use your favorites - oregano and lemon pepper are really good for this recipe also if you have them on hand.
How to Cook Chicken in a Cast Iron Skillet:
1: Take your chicken breasts and place them in a large Zip Loc bag. Take a meat mallet tenderizer and pound your chicken breasts until you get them to an even ½ inch thickness.
2: Place a sheet of wax paper down and place your spices - a teaspoon of sea salt, a ½ teaspoon of pepper, ½ teaspoon of garlic powder, ½ teaspoon of paprika and a ½ teaspoon of Trader Joe's Cheesy seasoning. Mix them up.
3: Spritz your chicken cutlets with olive oil on both sides then coat with your spices on both sides. Preheat your oven to 400 Degrees F.
4: Place your cast iron skillet on your stovetop and add about 8 tablespoons of avocado oil. Let it get hot and then drop your chicken cutlets into the oil..you should hear them sizzle. Let them cook for exactly 5 minutes..do not flip them.
5: Once the 5 minutes is up flip your chicken cutlets and then take your cast iron skillet with the chicken still in the pan and place it in your oven on the middle rack and bake for 5 more minutes at 400 degrees F.
6: Remove from oven after 5 minutes and let them rest for an additional 5 minutes. Slice into thin strips and enjoy!!
No time to cook tonight..grab a bag of Tyson's Air Fryer Any'tizer wings and save this recipe for the weekend...
See my latest videos here...
- When cleaning your cast iron skillet let your pan cool then take a plastic mesh produce bag ( the kind that holds lemons or onions) and swipe the pan clean. The mesh bag doesn't damage the seasoning the way steel wool will, and you don't have to ruin a scrubber pad with grease.
- A wad of heavy duty aluminum foil will also work. In either case you can re season the pan after cleaning by using paper towels to wipe it with about 1 tablespoon of oil.
- For more detailed cast iron tips check out my Cast Iron Skillet Tips for Beginners.
- For cast iron chicken breast with vegetables and potatoes - just add your favorite veggies right into the skillet with your chicken when cooking. You can add asparagus, brussel sprouts, broccoli, or peppers.
- They all cook to perfection with the juices of the chicken. If you want to add potatoes just use the mini potatoes and make sure you slice them so they cook thoroughly.
One boneless skinless chicken breast prepared in a cast iron skillet with avocado oil is approximately 115 calories. If you slice the chicken into thin strips it is about 37 calories for 4 chicken strips.
There are 0 net carbs in a piece of chicken making it the perfect food for a low carb, diabetic friendly diet.
Out of all the chicken options at the supermarket, the healthiest option is fresh organic chicken breast. The white meat in a chicken breast has slightly less cholesterol than the dark meat (legs and wings). It also is lowest in saturated fats.
Yes you can freeze your leftover cooked chicken. Place your cooked chicken in an airtight container or wrap the chicken well in freezer bags, freezer wrap or cling wrap before freezing. Label it so that you remember what it is and when you froze it, then place in the freezer.
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you probably already know I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I like to point all of my Recipes with the WW Points System.
This Easy Chicken Breast Cast Iron Skillet Recipe is Zero Points on my app for one serving. Weight Watchers has a new individualized program right now to make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight.
Just plug the ingredients into your WW app to confirm the points for your individual program.
I used to go back and forth between the Purple Plan and the Blue Plan prior to the new program and whenever I hit a plateau I did my own 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which jumpstarts the Fat Burning again, so if you feel stuck try it! You can get instant access today for only $1.00 just click here.
Get your 30 Day Low Carb / Keto Meal Plan Here..
Get your 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan Here today for $1.00 - Over 90 Recipes with Shopping Lists - Tips and Hints for Success. Instant Access - Just Click HERE.. this low price is for Blog Visitors only for a limited time.
Make sure check out my Newbie WW Tips and Tricks Guide if you are just getting started.
More healthy recipes you will love!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Grab a copy of my newest book from Amazon if you need an easy to follow Low Carb 30 Day Meal Plan to jump-start your weight-loss. Lose up to 5 lbs in the first week.
If you are impatient like me you can get instant access today of the digital version of the Ultimate Book of Fat Burning Recipes for only $1.00 - just click here...