This is one of my favorite ways to prepare boneless skinless chicken breasts. Using only one can of Campbell's French Onion soup and some Baby Bella mushrooms, turn plain chicken into the best French Onion Chicken with Mushrooms recipe.
You'll have this cheesy French onion chicken on the table in under 30 minutes. It's so delicious and easy that I guarantee it will become a regular in your weeknight dinner rotation.
The cooking of this Weight Watcher smothered chicken recipe starts on the stovetop and then moves over to a quick stint in the oven to let the cheese melt and crisp the chicken.
If you prefer dark meat chicken feel free to mix things up and use boneless chicken thighs, or better yet use both white meat and dark meat.
Don't forget dessert! Make sure you grab a healthy sweet treat recipe for after dinner. These are my most popular - Low Calorie Wendy's Frosty, 3 Ingredient Cinnamon Muffins , Mini DASH Chaffles, Air Fryer Beignets and The WW Zero Point Apple Crisp Chips.
Why make this recipe?
You don't want to miss out on this tasty chicken with onions and mushrooms recipe!
- Weight Watcher Friendly - Only 8 points for one extra large serving of this low carb keto French onion chicken dinner. Since the new Weight Watchers plan is personalized you will have to input the ingredients used to get your exact points.
- Mouth watering low calorie meal - Only 434 calories for a healthy portion of this French onion chicken casserole.
- Easy to make - requires only 7 simple ingredients and 10 minutes to prepare these keto friendly cast iron chicken cutlets.
- Kid friendly - Kids will love dipping homemade bread sticks into the savory French onion sauce.
- Budget friendly - Costs less than $20.00 to prepare this tasty recipe for French onion chicken.
Ingredients needed and substitutions:
- One can of French Onion Soup
- Mozzarella cheese slices - you can use your favorite cheese..gruyere is really good also.
- Unsalted Butter - I used Kerrygold butter which is my favorite.
- Bone broth - I love Zoup Beef Bone Broth for this recipe.
- Mushrooms - Baby Bella's are really good but you can use any sliced mushroom.
How to make Chicken Onion Mushroom Bake
1: Preheat your oven to 350 Degrees F. Grab a saucepan and melt 2 tablespoons of butter and saute your onions and mushrooms for about 5-10 minutes until soft.
2: While your onions and mushrooms are sautéing take your chicken breasts and season them with your garlic, salt and paprika. If your chicken breasts are too thick place them in a zip loc bag and pound them thinner with a kitchen mallet.
3: Your mushrooms and onions should be done now. Remove from the stovetop and place in a bowl and set aside.
4: Grab you cast iron skillet and add 5 tablespoons of avocado oil to the pan. Place your seasoned chicken cutlets into your pan and cook on medium high for 5 minutes on each side.
5: Now add in your cooked mushrooms and onions into your cast iron skillet with the chicken as well as 1 can of French Onion soup and one cup of bone broth. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
6: Place your cheese slices on top of your chicken and place the entire skillet into the oven on the middle rack and bake for 10-15 minutes.
7: Remove from oven and serve...Yummy!!
Watch the How to Make French Onion Chicken Video
- Recipes often advise pounding cutlets between sheets of plastic wrap, parchment, or waxed paper, all of which can easily rip or tear. Instead use a Zip Loc bag to place cutlets of meat in the empty bag before pounding to shield the counter and cutting board from contamination.
- Want to cut onions with no tears? Try chopping your onions near a flame from a lit gas burner or candle. The gaseous sulfur compounds they release into the air will burn off before they can irritate your eyes.
4 ounces of boneless skinless chicken breasts are zero points on WW.
You will be happy to know that french onion soup is, in fact, a highly nutritious choice. Onions are part of the Allium family, which contain Quercetin which is a powerful anti-inflammatory and should not be overlooked as a vegetable when considering your 7 day food intake menu.
Cooking with cast iron does indeed have health benefits. It is a chemical free alternative to non stick pans and it fortifies your food with iron.
Iron is important for making red blood cells which carry oxygen around the body. A lack of iron can lead to iron deficiency anemia.
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you probably already know I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I like to point all of my Recipes with the WW Points System.
This Easy Cast Iron French Onion Chicken with Mushrooms Recipe is 8 Points on my app for one serving. Weight Watchers has a new individualized program right now to make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight.
Just plug the ingredients into your WW app to confirm the points for your individual program.
Make sure you check out my Newbie WW Tips and Tricks Guide if you are just getting started.
I used to go back and forth between the Purple Plan and the Blue Plan prior to the new program and whenever I hit a plateau I did my own 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which jumpstarts the Fat Burning again, so if you feel stuck try it!
Grab a copy on Amazon...
If you are impatient like me... blog visitors can get instant access to the digital download version today for only $1.00 just click here.
More recipes you will love!!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Want to stay connected? Make sure you hit SUBSCRIBE HERE...