This Easy Chicken Keto Enchilada Casserole with cream cheese is perfect to keep stashed in your freezer for those busy nights when you have time only for the drive-through or to throw something pre-made into the oven!
You only need 15 minutes to prep and bake this fun keto chicken enchilada recipe.
If you thought making healthy chicken enchilada wraps would mean that you have to sacrifice flavor you are wrong. These low carb chicken enchiladas do not disappoint.
Keto tortillas made with Almond Flour, Coconut flour and a handful of simple ingredients are prepared in less than 5 minutes.
This is a perfect make ahead dinner recipe. Just freeze your Keto Enchilada Casserole. Prepare it, but don't bake it in the oven.
Wrap the casserole well and store it in your freezer uncooked for up to three months. When you want to make it, let it thaw to room temperature and then bake it. So easy!
Want more low carb recipes? Check these out..
- Easy Crockpot Spinach Frittata
- Low Carb Parmesan Chicken
- Instant Pot Tangy BBQ Chicken
- Keto Crack Slaw
- Avocado Parmesan Crisps
Why make this recipe?
You don't want to miss out on this delicious low carb enchilada casserole recipe!
- Weight Watcher Friendly - Only 4 points for the low carb enchilada wraps and 7 points for the enchilada filling with cream cheese.
- Mouth watering low carb meal - 1 completely stuffed chicken tomatillo enchilada is under 10 carbs. Perfect for a low carb keto diet.
- Easy to make - Requires only a handful of ingredients and less than 30 minutes to prepare.
- Kid Friendly - Kids love to help roll and stuff the keto enchilada wraps.
- Budget Friendly - Costs less than $20.00 to prepare.
- Aroma - Your house will smell like your favorite Mexican restaurant while this low carb chicken enchilada casserole is baking in the oven.
Ingredients for the Keto Soft Tortillas:
- 1 Cup of Egg Whites
- ¼ cup of Avocado Oil
- 1 Cup of Almond Flour
- ¼ Cup of Coconut Flour
- 1 Tablespoon of Milled Flaxseed
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- ½ Teaspoon of Onion Powder
- ½ Teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ Cups of Boiling Water
Preparation instructions for the Keto Soft Tortillas:
- In a large bowl, beat together all ingredients except the boiling water.
- Add the boiling water and beat until smooth.
- Heat a medium non stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter onto the heated skillet. Using the measuring cup , quickly spread out the batter as thin as you can without breaking the tortilla, to a circle about 5-6 inches in diameter.
- Cook until the tortilla is golden, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip, and then cook until golden on the second side, about 1-2 minutes more. Place the tortilla on a plate, and repeat with the remaining batter.
Ingredients for the Keto Enchilada Bake Filling and Toppings
- Avocado Oil Spray
- 12 Ounces of white meat chicken - shredded breast meat or chicken chop meat or a blend of both
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon of Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon of Taco Spice Seasoning
- 3 Ounces of Cream Cheese
- ¼ Cup of Salsa
- 2 Tablespoons of Water
- 4 Soft Tortillas - you can make your own Low Carb Tortillas or use a store bought Low Carb Brand like Tumaro's
- 4 Ounces of Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
Preparation Instructions for the Keto Enchilada Bake
- Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees F. Lightly spray the inside of an 8X8 casserole dish with Avocado Oil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot add the chicken chop meat until browned, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the meat.
- Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more stirring constantly.
- I like to add a mix a shredded white meat chicken which I pre cooked in my instant pot or you can get a rotisserie chicken and use some shredded white meat from that and mix it with the chicken chop meat and blend together.
- Stir in the tomato paste and the Taco Seasoning and turn off the heat.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat add the cream cheese, salsa and water and whisk until smooth. Turn off the heat.
- To assemble each enchilada, spoon one quarter of the meat mixture into the center of each soft tortilla. Roll up the tortillas and place them into the prepared casserole dish.
- Spoon the creamy salsa on top and sprinkle on the shredded cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted, about 10-12 minutes.
- If you are not making your own homemade soft tortillas you can use store bought corn tortillas. For a low carb version try using the Mission Carb Balance Soft Tortillas.
- To avoid soggy enchiladas briefly fry your tortillas in hot oil before you fill and roll them.
- Do not use too much enchilada sauce. Spread about one cup of sauce over the rolled tortillas. Less sauce means they are less likely to fall apart when serving.
- Try adding some fun garnish to your Weight Watchers chicken enchiladas like red onion, jalapeños, lime wedges or fresh cilantro.
- Don't overstuff your chicken enchilada wraps. Too much stuffing will cause breakage and seepage of all the goodies.
Cheesy chicken enchiladas are a Mexican comfort food, but they are also waistline-friendly. Homemade soft keto tortillas or traditional corn tortillas are wrapped around a filling and baked in a chili enchilada sauce. The chicken or vegan versions have only about 300 calories.
Typical enchiladas can be loaded with saturated fat and refined carbs. But you can easily prepare a healthy style enchilada recipe using low carb tortillas and healthier fillings like low fat cheese, chicken and beans.
Like many Mexican dishes, some enchilada recipes can be quite fattening. If you are watching your weight, you may want to choose one of the healthier Mexican recipes by making your beef enchiladas or chicken enchiladas yourself so that you can limit the fat and calories they contain by controlling the ingredients.
What exactly is an Enchilada?
An enchilada is a tortilla rolled around a filling and covered with a savory sauce. Enchiladas can be filled with various ingredients, including meats, cheese, beans, potatoes, vegetables or any combination.
Are Keto Enchiladas Healthy?
Yes, this delicious Easy Keto Enchilada Bake Recipe uses Almond and Coconut Flour instead of All Purpose flour in the preparation of the tortillas making it Gluten Free.
Oh and we can’t forget the main ingredient Low Carb White Meat Chicken. You can use Dark Meat chicken if you prefer. The white meat (chicken breast) has slightly less cholesterol than the dark meat(legs). It is definitely lower in saturated fats. In general, poultry is a heart-healthy protein.
How many Calories are in this Easy Keto Enchilada Bake?
If you make your own Low Carb Soft Tortillas with my recipe below each keto soft tortilla contains about 142 calories. If you don't have time to make your own soft tortillas I highly recommend the Tumaro Low Carb wraps which have only 60 calories per wrap and they are delicious.
The enchilada filling with the cheese topping is about 303 calories, so depending on which tortilla you use you can have a hearty delicious meal for under 400 calories.
What kind of filling is used in this Low Carb Enchilada Bake?
I used a blend of ground chicken chop meat and shredded white meat chicken breast. I first took 2 boneless white meat chicken breasts and cooked them in my Instant Pot for 30 minutes and then shredded the meat. You could also just pick up a Rotisserie chicken and pull some white meat off of it and shred and then add it to your sautéed chicken chop meat to make the blend.
Can I use Beef Chop Meat to make the Enchiladas more Flavorful?
Yes you can swap your protein from chicken to beef if you prefer a red meat protein. But just a fun fact chicken is the go-to protein for athletes and bodybuilders.
But Beef does contain high levels of protein and a significant amount of creatine, which helps produce lean muscle much more quickly...but your body can only absorb 74% of a slab of beef, where as your body can take in 80% of protein in chicken.
Can I use vegetables to make the Enchilada Bake Recipe Vegan?
You sure can! I love to sauté up some Eggplant, Zucchini, Tomatoes, Onions and Mushrooms and then use that mixture to stuff my Low Carb Tortilla and bake it Enchilada Style! Yummy!
Is this Keto Enchilada Casserole Gluten Free?
How many Carbs are in this Keto Enchiladas Bake?
The Homemade Keto Soft Tortilla has 4.3 grams of Carbs and the Enchilada filling contains 4.5 grams of carbs. So you can have a delicious keto cheese enchilada for under 10 grams of carbs. That is pretty good!
What Kitchen tools do I need for this Easy Keto Enchilada Bake Recipe?
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you probably already know I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I like to point all of my Recipes with the WW Smart Points System.
This Easy Keto Enchilada Bake is only 4 points for the homemade Soft Tortilla and 7 points for the filling and cheese. If you use a Tumaro Low in Carb Multi Grain wrap then it is only 1 Point on the WW Blue plan which is the plan I am currently following. Weight Watchers has 3 New Programs right now to make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight.
I have been going back and forth between the Purple Plan and the Blue Plan and when I plateau I do my own 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which jumpstarts the Fat Burning again…… If you want to see new WW Food Lists for each plan just click Here…
Psst..Before you go make sure you grab a FREE copy of My Easy Keto Desserts Instant Access Recipe Book right HERE!Print Print
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Ready to Quit your Day Job? Start your own Food Blog with help from Food Blogger Pro - Click Here for Info