As the seasons change, there's nothing more comforting and satisfying than a steaming bowl of yellow squash spinach soup.
And if you're on a journey to healthier living with Weight Watchers, we've got the perfect recipe to warm both your heart and taste buds.
Picture this: a large soup pot bubbling with a symphony of vibrant colors and wholesome flavors.
It's the best soup for this time of year, where the crisp air invites us to savor the goodness of cooked vegetables in every spoonful.
In this blog post, we're excited to share a delicious recipe that not only aligns with your Weight Watchers journey but also celebrates the nice addition of yellow squash, zucchini, spinach, and peppers.
This simple soup boasts a medley of simple ingredients, creating a flavorful soup that is not only a nice addition to your healthy recipes repertoire but also a fantastic choice for meal prep.
The beauty of this recipe lies in its simplicity – a hearty blend of cooked vegetables that come together effortlessly in a large soup pot.
It's the perfect way to enjoy the good stuff without compromising on taste or your wellness goals. The result? A delicious and healthy soup that earns its title as the best soup for those looking to embrace a balanced lifestyle.
Pair this delightful creation with some crusty bread for a wholesome meal that satisfies your cravings and nourishes your body.
Our Weight Watchers Zero Point Yellow Squash Zucchini Spinach and Peppers Soup is not just a simple soup; it's a flavorful journey into the world of good-for-you ingredients, offering the perfect balance for those seeking a tasty and nutritious meal.
Join us as we explore the art of crafting this soup, diving into the details of preparation, tips for meal prep, and why it's the ideal addition to your repertoire of healthy recipes.
Get ready to elevate your culinary experience and embark on a culinary adventure with the best soup for the season!
Why make this recipe?
You don't want to miss out on this super easy delicious soup recipe!
Weight Watcher Friendly - This delicious yellow squash soup is 0 points on my WW app for one serving. One serving is equivalent to 1 and ½ cups.
Since the new Weight Watchers plan is personalized you will have to input the ingredients used into your WW app to get your exact WW personal points.
Easy to Make - Preparing this summer squash soup requires only a handful of simple ingredients and 15-20 minutes of cook time.
Ingredients needed and substitutions:
Veggie Broth - I used Emeril's Organic Vegetable stock for this recipe but you can swap this for a vegetable broth or even chicken broth or chicken stock.
Fresh Spinach or Baby Spinach - If you have a local farmers market nearby try and get fresh vegetables and fresh herbs for your vegetable soup.
Yellow Summer Squash - I used a mix of yellow squash and zucchini for this hearty soup.
Peppers - I used a mix of bell pepper, red peppers, yellow peppers and orange peppers.
Even heat distribution, heat retention, versatility, durability, large capacity, lid design, ease of cleaning, and aesthetic appeal make Dutch ovens an excellent choice for making soups, allowing you to achieve flavorful and well-cooked results.
1: In a large pot combine your broth, water and sliced squash. Bring to a boil. Once the broth is boiling add in your sliced peppers and onions, salt, pepper, fresh thyme and bay leaves. - Reduce to medium-low heat and cook for 15 minutes.
2: Remove from heat and add your spinach. Once spinach is wilted remove th thyme and bay leaves.
3: Ready to serve, or store for meal prep!
Watch the How to Make a Skinny Soup Recipe Video
Yes, zucchini and yellow squash do have subtle taste differences, though they belong to the same botanical family (Cucurbitaceae) and share a similar mild flavor profile. Zucchini tends to have a slightly sweeter and milder flavor compared to yellow squash. Yellow squash, on the other hand, can have a subtly buttery or nutty undertone. However, the differences in taste are often very subtle, and many people might not notice a significant contrast.
Whether or not to peel yellow zucchini before cooking is largely a matter of personal preference and the specific recipe you're preparing. Yellow zucchini, like its green counterpart, has a tender skin that is entirely edible and contains valuable nutrients. The skin of yellow zucchini contains fiber, vitamins, and minerals. If you peel it, you may lose some of these nutrients. If you're looking to maximize nutritional benefits, consider leaving the skin on.
- Start with Fresh Ingredients: Begin with high-quality, fresh yellow squash, zucchini, spinach, peppers, and onions to ensure the best flavor in your soup.
- Choose the Right Squash: Opt for young yellow squash and zucchini for a sweeter and more tender texture in your soup.
- Balanced Flavors: Create a flavor balance by combining sweet onion, garlic cloves, and tomato paste for a savory base.
- Vegetable Broth Selection: Use a rich and flavorful vegetable broth to enhance the taste of your soup. Homemade or a high-quality store-bought option works well.
- Hot Liquids Technique: To maintain the best flavor and texture, add hot vegetable broth gradually while stirring, allowing the vegetables to cook evenly.
- Summer Veggies Abundance: Celebrate the freshness of summer veggies by showcasing yellow squash, zucchini, and peppers as the stars of your soup.
- Lemon Zest and Juice: Add a burst of freshness by incorporating both lemon zest and fresh lemon juice, enhancing the overall brightness of the dish.
- Black Pepper Enhancement: Freshly ground black pepper not only adds a kick but also complements the natural sweetness of the vegetables. Adjust according to taste.
- Garlic Magic: Infuse your soup with depth by finely mincing garlic cloves. Sauté them in a drizzle of olive oil before adding other vegetables.
- Drizzle of Olive Oil: Finish your soup with a light drizzle of high-quality olive oil just before serving to impart a luxurious and silky texture.
- Layered Flavor with Herbs: Experiment with herbs like thyme, oregano, or basil to layer flavors and enhance the overall taste profile.
- Control Creaminess with Heavy Cream: For a rich and velvety texture, add a touch of heavy cream. Control the amount based on your preference and dietary needs.
- Mindful Weight Watchers Choices: Keep your soup Weight Watchers-friendly by controlling portions, opting for lean cooking methods, and minimizing high-calorie ingredients.
- Simmer for Depth: Allow your soup to simmer gently, allowing the flavors to meld and intensify. This slow cooking method contributes to a robust and satisfying taste.
- Garnish Creatively: Before serving, consider garnishing with a sprinkle of fresh herbs, a swirl of olive oil, or a pinch of lemon zest to add a visual and flavorful flourish.
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you probably already know I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I like to point all of my Recipes with the WW Points System.
This Weight Watchers friendly Yellow Squash Soup recipe is 0 Points on my Weight Watchers points app for a 1 and ½ cup serving.
Weight Watchers has a new individualized program right now to make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight.
Just plug the ingredients into your WW app to confirm the points for your individual program.
Make sure you check out my Newbie WW Tips and Tricks Guide if you are just getting started.
Planning to travel soon? Make sure you check out my 100 Tips for healthy eating on the go.
I used to go back and forth between the Purple Plan and the Blue Plan prior to the new program and whenever I hit a plateau I did my own 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which jumpstarts the Fat Burning again, so if you feel stuck try it!
Embark on a transformative culinary journey with '30 Days of Fat Burning Recipes,' a meticulously crafted guide written by the expert author and food blogger, Susan from Sueseaqpi.com. This comprehensive book seamlessly blends a 30-day meal plan with over 90 delectable low carb recipes, making it an indispensable companion for anyone looking to embrace the keto lifestyle. Susan not only demystifies the world of keto but also imparts invaluable lifestyle tips, acting as your trusted companion on the journey toward success in adopting a low carb lifestyle.
If you are impatient like me... blog visitors can get instant access to the digital download version today for only $1.00 just click here...
More recipes you will love!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Want to stay connected? Make sure you hit SUBSCRIBE HERE...