Slow Cooking intensifies the sweetness of the tomatoes and the flavors of the spices in this Healthy Crockpot Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe.
Once the sauce is ready you just add the shrimp and brown rice for 30 minutes and you have a perfect weeknight entree. Add a salad of mixed greens garnished with sweet onion and cucumber to round out the menu.
What exactly is Jambalaya?
Jambalaya is a Creole rice dish of West African, French, and Spanish influence, consisting mainly of meat and vegetables mixed with rice. Traditionally, the meat always includes sausage of some sort, often a smoked meat such as andouille, along with pork or chicken and seafood, such as crawfish or shrimp
Is Crockpot Shrimp Jambalaya Healthy?
It sure is!! This Healthy Crockpot Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe is Gluten Free and has only 3.3 grams of Fat per serving. Also by using Shrimp as your protein you get even more nutrition.
Shrimp may have a variety of health benefits. It is high in several vitamins and minerals, and is a rich source of protein. Eating shrimp may also promote heart and brain health due to its content of omega-3 fatty acids and the antioxidant astaxanthin.
How Many Calories are in this Shrimp Jambalaya?
This Easy Shrimp Jambalaya has only 290 calories per 1 ½ Cup Serving which is a substantial portion. You will not be hungry, this is a very satisfying meal.
Can I Omit the Shrimp to Make this a Vegan Jambalaya?
Absolutely! Instead of using Shrimp just add some additional veggies like Eggplant, Zucchini, Squash, Mushrooms or Carrots and swap the Chicken Broth for Vegetable Broth.
How Many Carbs are in this Healthy Crockpot Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe?
There are 44.6 grams of carbs in this slow cooker shrimp jambalaya recipe which would not make this Jambalaya Meal Keto or Diabetic friendly. But that doesn't mean you can't make a few minor adjustments to the recipe to make it a Keto Shrimp Jambalaya..just read the next paragraph below😁.
How can I make this Crockpot Shrimp Jambalaya Low Carb?
In order to Lower the Carb count in this Seafood Jambalaya you would have to swap the brown rice with something like Cauliflower Rice or just omit the Brown Rice altogether and stick with a Vegan Jambalaya.
Do you want to try a Really Easy Low CarbMeal Plan to Drop some Pounds Fast?
Whenever I fall off the wagon which always seems to be around this time of the year after the Holidays I follow a 30 Day Low Carb/Keto Meal Plan and I can drop 5 pounds in the first 5 days. Within the first week I can usually button my jeans again without passing out from sucking in my stomach.I am a perpetual Weight Watcher but sometimes my body needs a change to switch it up which is why I like to give myself a 30 day Low Carb challenge for a fresh start.
If you are looking for a Healthy and Tasty way to lose serious pounds without counting calories or exercising then this simple program is perfect for you.
The program will give you everything you need to jumpstart 2021. Here are the resources that come with the program:
- 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which contains over 90 Low Carb Recipes for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snacks
- Your weekly shopping list
- Quickstart Salad and Dressing Recipes
- Calm – Meditation Guide
- Easy Keto Dessert Recipes
- Plus everything is electronic with this program which mean you will have Instant Access to it, you will be able to read it on your tablet, laptop or smartphone. I like to set up my tablet in the kitchen to follow the recipes so there is no need to print anything.
- The BEST part…I am able to get you access to this program today for only $7.97 – that is cheaper than one trip at the drive through. Do not wait you are worth it!
Is this Shrimp Jambalaya with Ham Gluten Free?
This Shrimp with Ham Jambalaya is Gluten Free so feel free to indulge if you are following a Gluten Free Diet. If you do not normally pay attention to Gluten in your food you may want to start as it does seem to have some benefits to your body. I try to incorporate Gluten Free foods into my diet as much as possible.
A gluten-free diet can provide many health benefits, especially for people with celiac disease. It may help ease digestive symptoms, reduce chronic inflammation, boost energy and promote weight loss.
If you want to learn more about the benefits of eating Gluten Free I recommend reading the Wheat Belly Book.
Is this Easy Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe Spicy?
This Weight Watcher Friendly Jambalaya does have a kick to it. By using the Cayenne Pepper it does make it spicy. But a little spice is good for Fat Burning. Cayenne Pepper is a natural herb that may help you lose weight. This red pepper may curb your appetite, speed up your metabolism, and help you burn calories.
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you probably already know I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I like to point all of my Recipes with the WW Smart Points System.
This Easy Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe is only 6 Smart Points for one serving. Weight Watchers has 3 New Programs right now to make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight.
I go back and forth between the Purple Plan and the Blue Plan and when I plateau I do my own 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which jumpstarts the Fat Burning again…… If you want to see new WW Food Lists for each plan just click Here…
What Kitchen Tools do I need for this Healthy Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe?
Sharp Knife for Chopping
Ingredients for the Healthy Crockpot Shrimp Jambalaya:
- 14.5 Ounce can of No-Salt Added Tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 Cup of Water
- ½ Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ½ Cup of Chopped Onion
- 1 Cup of Diced Peppers (Red, Green and Yellow)
- 2 Ounces of Turkey Bacon or Smoked Ham
- 2 Teaspoons of Dried Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon of Dried Oregano
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ Teaspoon of Dried Thyme
- ¼ Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon of Cumin
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 8 Ounces of Medium Shrimp - Peeled and Tail Removed - If using Frozen just thaw in warm water
- 1 Cup of Frozen Cut Okra or Spinach whichever you prefer
- 1 Cup of Uncooked Instant Brown Rice
- ¼ Cup of Parsley
Preparation Instructions for Healthy Crockpot Shrimp Jambalaya:
- In the Crockpot, stir together the tomatoes with liquid, water, onion, peppers, bacon or ham, parsley, oregano, garlic, thyme, cayenne, cumin and the Bay Leaf. Cook, covered on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- If using the low setting, change it to high, quickly stir in the shrimp, okra or spinach, and rice and the ½ cup of chicken broth then re cover the crockpot. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Discard the Bay Leaf. Serve the Jambalaya sprinkled with Parsley.
Don't Forget Dessert...Make sure you Grab a FREE Copy of My Easy Keto Desserts Here!
Hot Gift Alert...Perfect for a Wedding Gift..Customers' Most-Loved: Wedding Edition Print
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
If you Love Crockpot Recipes Check out my Easy Crockpot Lasagna Recipe Here