Slow Cooking intensifies the sweetness of the tomatoes and the flavors of the spices in this Healthy Gluten Free Crockpot Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe. You only need 10 minutes to prep then it is a hands free jambalaya.
Once the sauce is ready you just add the shrimp and brown rice for 30 minutes and you have a perfect slow cooker jambalaya weeknight entree. Add a salad of mixed greens garnished with sweet onion and cucumber to round out the menu.
If you love healthy dinner recipes that taste amazing make sure you check out my Crockpot Lasagna, Gluten Free Enchilada Bake, WW Lemon Caper Chicken, Skinny Sheet pan Chicken or the fan favorite Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup.
Why make this recipe?
- Weight Watch Friendly - Only 6 Smart Points per serving - a super easy Weight Watcher crockpot recipe.
- A tasty Gluten Free dinner - that is not easy to find!
- Super Easy to Make - requires only 10 minutes to prep and then it is hands free cooking!
- Budget Friendly - costs less than $20.00 to prepare.
- Aroma - this spicy one pot dish smells amazing just like the true Southern jambalaya recipe.
Jambalaya Ingredients and Substitutions:
- 1 Cup of Water
- ½ Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ½ Cup of Chopped Onion
- 1 Cup of Diced Peppers (Red, Green and Yellow)
- 2 Ounces of Turkey Bacon or Smoked Ham
- 2 Teaspoons of Dried Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon of Dried Oregano
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ Teaspoon of Dried Thyme
- ¼ Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon of Cumin
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 8 Ounces of Medium Shrimp - Peeled and Tail Removed - If using Frozen just thaw in warm water
- 1 Cup of Frozen Cut Okra or Spinach whichever you prefer
- 1 Cup of Uncooked Instant Brown Rice
- ¼ Cup of Parsley
How to make this recipe:
- In the Crockpot, stir together the tomatoes with liquid, water, onion, peppers, bacon or ham, parsley, oregano, garlic, thyme, cayenne, cumin and the Bay Leaf. Cook, covered on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- If using the low setting, change it to high, quickly stir in the shrimp, okra or spinach, and rice and the ½ cup of chicken broth then re cover the crockpot. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Discard the Bay Leaf.
- Serve the crockpot cajun jambalaya sprinkled with Parsley.
Check out my latest videos:
- Spray your slow cooking bowl with cooking spray - Coating the inside of the ceramic bowl with cooking spray will prevent sticking and make cleanup of your jambalaya in the crockpot super easy.
- Don't peek - Unless specifically directed in the menu, don’t lift the lid to check your food. Each time the lid is lifted, it adds approximately 30 minutes to the cooking time to your shrimp jambalaya recipe.
- Prepare for slow cooking the night before - prepare everything you need for your shrimp and rice crockpot recipe the night before, put it into the slow-cooker dish, cover and store in the fridge overnight.
- Ideally the dish should be as close to room temperature as possible, so get it out of the fridge when you wake up and leave it for 20 minutes before turning the cooker on.
- Don't be afraid of the easy rice shortcut - embrace the Minute Rice. That way, you avoid the possible pitfall of underdone rice in your brown rice jambalaya, which can ruin the whole dish.
Yes, uncooked rice is perfect for a slow cooker jambalaya recipe. Try using Minute Rice for a healthy vegetarian jambalaya.
Yes, I found the best one to use is the Trader Joe's quick cooking brown jasmine rice.
Jambalaya is a Creole rice dish of West African, French, and Spanish influence, consisting mainly of meat and vegetables mixed with rice. Traditionally, the meat always includes sausage of some sort, often a smoked meat such as andouille, along with pork or chicken and seafood, such as crawfish or shrimp.
This Easy Shrimp Jambalaya has only 290 calories per 1 ½ Cup Serving which is a substantial portion. You will not be hungry, this is a very satisfying meal.
There are 44.6 grams of carbs in this slow cooker shrimp jambalaya recipe which would not make this Jambalaya Meal Keto or Diabetic friendly. But that doesn't mean you can't make a few minor adjustments to the recipe to make it a Keto Shrimp Jambalaya..just read the next paragraph below.
In order to Lower the Carb count in this Seafood Jambalaya you would have to swap the brown rice with something like Cauliflower Rice or just omit the Brown Rice altogether and stick with a Vegan Jambalaya.
It sure is!! This Healthy Crockpot Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe is Gluten Free and has only 3.3 grams of Fat per serving. Also by using Shrimp as your protein you get even more nutrition.
Instead of using Shrimp, chicken or sausage just swap the meat for some veggies like Eggplant, Zucchini, Squash, Mushrooms or Carrots and swap the Chicken Broth for Vegetable Broth.
Shrimp with Ham Jambalaya is Gluten Free so feel free to indulge if you are following a Gluten Free Diet. If you do not normally pay attention to Gluten in your food you may want to start as it does seem to have some benefits to your body. I try to incorporate Gluten Free foods into my diet as much as possible.
This Weight Watcher Friendly Jambalaya does have a kick to it. By using the Cayenne Pepper it does make it spicy. But a little spice is good for Fat Burning. Cayenne Pepper is a natural herb that may help you lose weight. This red pepper may curb your appetite, speed up your metabolism, and help you burn calories.
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you probably already know I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I like to point all of my Recipes with the WW Smart Points System.
This Easy Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe is only 6 Smart Points on my app for one serving. Weight Watchers has a new individualized program right now to make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight.
Just plug the ingredients into your WW app to confirm the points for your individual program.
I used to go back and forth between the Purple Plan and the Blue Plan prior to the new program and whenever I hit a plateau I did my own 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which jumpstarted the Fat Burning again, so if you feel stuck try it!
What Kitchen Tools do I need for this Healthy Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe?
Sharp Knife for Chopping
Don't Forget Dessert...Make sure you Grab a FREE Copy of My Easy Keto Desserts Here!Print
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Grab a copy of my newest book from Amazon if you need an easy to follow Low Carb 30 Day Meal Plan to jump-start your weight-loss. Lose up to 5 lbs in the first week.