St. Patty's Day is almost here so I was thinking what better way to start celebrating than baking this Delicious WW Skinny Irish Soda Bread recipe.
This traditional Irish soda bread can be made with an assortment of mix ins like dried fruit and nuts, but I like it with a handful of raisins.
It's the perfect change of pace item to bring to a get together and you only need 7 ingredients and less than 10 minutes to prep time.
When this homemade traditional Irish soda bread was baking in the oven the house had the most amazing aroma.
So if you need to wake your family up I recommend you put this in the oven nice and early and everyone will be out of bed and in the kitchen to see what's cooking LOL...
What Exactly is Irish Soda Bread?
Why Make this Recipe?
You don't want to miss out on the Best Recipe for Irish Soda Bread!
- Weight Watcher Friendly - Only 9 points on my WW plan for one large slice of authentic Irish soda bread. Just plug the ingredients into your WW app to determine the exact points for your current plan.
- Mouth watering low calorie dessert - WW friendly low calorie desserts are not easy to find!
- Easy to make - only 7 ingredients needed for this healthy Irish soda bread recipe.
- Kid friendly - try making an Irish Soda Bread Grilled Cheese for the kids they will love this unique spin on the traditional grilled cheese sandwich.
- Budget friendly - costs less then $20.00 to prepare.
- Aroma - Your entire house will smell amazing when this sweet Irish Soda Bread is baking. Everyone will be headed for the kitchen!
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- 1-½ cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1-½ cups of Whole Wheat Flour - If you want to make a gluten FREE Irish soda bread you can swap the all purpose flour and the whole wheat flour for 3 cups of an all purpose gluten free flour like Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour. Make sure you also add in 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder if you are doing a gluten free version.
- 1-1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 4 tablespoons of Sugar
- 1-½ cups of Buttermilk - If you want to make a Vegan Irish Soda Bread - try making your own vegan buttermilk - just swap the buttermilk for soy milk and add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar - now you can make a vegan Irish soda bread without buttermilk.
- ⅔ cup of Raisins - if you don't like raisins try adding some cranberries or chocolate chips with a sprinkle of nuts.
Preparation Instructions for Sweet Irish Soda Bread:
1: Mix all Dry Ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together
2: Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees
3: Slowly add in the Buttermilk stirring with a Wooden Spoon until a soft Dough is formed.
4: Add Raisins - Knead the dough lightly on a sheet of waxpaper or floured surface for about 1 minute
5: Form into a round slightly flattened shape
6: Place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper
7: Use a sharp knife to make an X at the top about ½ inch deep
8: Bake for 40 minutes
9: Now for the best part....Slice and Eat! Oh and eating it while it is warm is highly recommended. Just like eating a slice of Grandma's old fashioned Irish soda bread...
Check out my latest videos here:
- If you are a muffin lover you can easily turn your Irish soda batter into Irish soda bread muffins. I like to add a teaspoon of caraway seeds to my muffins. Grab a greased muffin and fill ¾ full with your mix, then sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of sugar and bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes.
- You can also make air fryer Irish soda bread muffins the same way just bake them in the air fryer at 350 Degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- If you own a baking stone sit your Irish soda bread dough on this when baking instead of a pan for an extra crispy crunch.
- For a shiny golden crust you can prepare an egg wash for your easy Irish soda bread recipe. Just combine 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of water - mix together and brush over the top of your dough before baking.
- If you don't finish your loaf of sweet and savory Irish soda bread use the remaining slices to make a delish Irish soda bread French toast. Just soak in a milk and egg wash and fry in the pan with a splash of olive oil, or air fry your Irish soda bread French toast in the air fryer for 5 minutes. Yum!
A healthy Irish Soda Bread Recipe with Buttermilk has only 256 calories for one delectable slice. The perfect breakfast under 500 calories.
Your typical Irish soda bread recipe has 16g for a one ounce slice. This skinny WW Irish Soda Bread has about 6g of carbs for one slice. So preparing homemade bread allows you to create your own low carb/keto version Irish soda bread.
The taste of this bread is sweet and savory with the texture of a biscuit. But as with most bread, it's elevated by adding a topping; it's meant to be an accent to other flavors typically served with toppings, like butter, jam,or jelly.
All soda breads use sodium bicarbonate a/k/a baking soda instead of yeast as their leavening agent. This distinction allows the bread to be prepared quick and less methodically than yeast breads, whose temperature must be tightly watched to create a decent loaf.
Baked and cooled Irish Soda Bread freezes great. Freeze the whole loaf or individual slices. Thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature, then reheat as desired.
Like most homemade breads, Irish Soda Bread can dry out quickly and easily and is best eaten shortly after baking. It can be kept for 3 to 4 days at room temperature if stored well in a Zip Loc bag or freeze it and use when needed for up to 2 months.
Fresh whipped cream is really delicious on Irish Soda Bread. Also some fig jam, butter, cream cheese, apple compote, strawberry preserves and orange marmalade work well as a topping for this dessert bread.
Can I use Vegan Buttermilk to Make This a Vegan Irish Soda Bread?
You sure can. If you don't know how to make a batch of Vegan Buttermilk just take 1 cup of non-dairy milk like soy milk and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice stir together and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes..now you have Vegan Buttermilk.
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you probably already know I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I like to point all of my Recipes with the WW Smart Points System.
This Easy Irish Soda Bread Recipe is only 9 Smart Points for one slice. Weight Watchers has a New Program right now to make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight.
I still follow the Blue Plan currently but go back and forth between the Purple Plan and the Blue Plan.
When I hit a plateau I do my own 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which jumpstarts the Fat Burning again…… If you want to see the new WW Food Lists for each plan just click Here…and if you are a newbie WW make sure you check out my beginner Tips & Tricks.
If you are looking for an easy way get a jump on dropping some pounds before the warm weather arrives I highly recommend you try my 30 Day Meal Plan. It is a simple Low Carb Meal Plan with over 90 Fat Burning Recipes to help you get that quick win, drop up to 5 lbs in one week.
I use it every 3 months as a re boot, sometimes the body gets to used to the same foods all the time and the weight starts creeping up again. Don’t let it happen..try this 30 Day Plan…it’s easy and worth it..challenge yourself to do it for 30 days then go back to your WW or just eating good!! If you want to give it a try Click Here !
What Kitchen tools are needed for this Easy Irish Soda Bread Recipe?
We paired it with some Butter and also some Homemade Peach, Cherry & Raspberry Preserves. So Yummy!
Since you Love Sweet Treats Make sure you Grab a FREE Copy of My Easy Keto Desserts Here!!Print
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Grab a copy of my newest book from Amazon if you need an easy to follow Low Carb 30 Day Meal Plan to jump-start your weight-loss. Lose up to 5 lbs in the first week.