Only a handful of ingredients and three of them super chocolatey, need I say more? These chocolate dairy free brownies are great any time of the year and only need 30 minutes of bake time.
The brownies have a secret ingredient that deepens their chocolate flavor and adds a fudge texture without fat. Sweet Potatoes are pureed until smooth so that they seamlessly incorporate into the batter.
To keep the chocolate chips from falling off, I add them shortly after baking; they melt a bit, which sticks them to the tops of the brownies.
The sweet potato in the brownies not only adds extra nutrition but also helps to be able to replace some fat in the batter and still deliver a satisfying indulgent dessert.
If you love healthy desserts make sure you check out my 3 Ingredient Kodiak Cake Muffins, Wendy's Copycat Frosty, Easy Air Fryer Beignets, 3 Ingredient Chaffles or the fan favorite Zero Point Baked Apple Crisp Chips.
Why make this recipe?
You don't want to miss out on this easy Dairy Free Fudgy Brownie Recipe!
Weight Watcher Friendly - This easy low calorie vegan brownie recipe is only 5 points per brownie bite on my WW Plan. Since the new Weight Watchers plan is personalized you will have to input the ingredients used into your WW app to get your exact points.
Mouth watering low calorie dessert - Only 187 calories for 1 moist homemade gluten free brownie. If you use Lily's No Sugar Added chocolate chips you can probably get these down to 150 calories per serving.
Easy to Make - These low carb vegan brownie bites bake in only 30 minutes.
Kid Friendly - These healthy triple chocolate brownies are so moist and delicious the kids will want them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Oh and the best part is they will never know you snuck in some nutrition..who knew sweet potato brownies tasted so good.
Budget Friendly - Costs less than $20.00 to prepare.
Aroma - Triple chocolate chip brownies baking in the oven smell amazing. Everyone will be running for the kitchen.
Ingredients needed and substitutions:
- Cooked Sweet Potatoes - I used the orange sweet potato for this recipe also called a yam. You can also use a purple variety and make purple sweet potato brownies. The purple sweet potatoes are high in anthocyanin which possess anti diabetic, anticancer, anti-inflammatory effects as well as prevention of cardiovascular disease.
- Fun Fact - One Orange Sweet Potato contains 400 % of the vitamin A that you need each day. Vitamin A is good for your eyes, heart and kidneys.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - I used Trader Joe's unsweetened cocoa powder but any brand will do.
- Almond Butter - for this recipe I used MaraNatha almond butter but any brand will do, I also love Justin's Almond Butter.
- Chocolate Chips - You can use a mixture of Nestle's semi sweet and dark chocolate chips. Try Lily's no sugar added white chocolate chips in the mix for a batch of gluten free white chocolate brownies. If you want to make triple chocolate chunk brownies just sprinkle in some Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chunks.
How to make Dairy Free Brownies from scratch:
1: Cook your sweet potatoes. I peeled mine and cut into cubes and steamed them in my Black & Decker steamer for about 20 minutes then mashed them with a fork to a creamy puree. If you don't have a steamer you can microwave your sweet potato. Just remember to poke some holes in the skin with a fork and then microwave for 5-7 minutes. Once it has cooled a bit slice open and scoop out the inside and mash.
2: In a large bowl combine all of your ingredients and mix well into a nice triple chocolate batter.
3: Pour your Sweet Potato brownie batter into a 9x9 inch greased baking pan.
4: Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
5: Remove from oven after 30 minutes and let cool - add some extra chocolate chips on top and sprinkle with some powdered sugar or colored sprinkles for fun.
Watch the How to Make these Triple Chocolate Brownie Here...
Chocolate is a great source of antioxidants and has also been found to help lower blood pressure and even increase “good” cholesterol. Darker chocolate is also known to have anti-inflammatory qualities, so enjoy your brownies. There are lots of brownie recipes that use healthy ingredients like sweet potatoes and even black beans. You can make healthy brownies!
It depends...If you're looking to shed a few pounds, traditional brownies and other cakes would usually not be a good idea. However, we all need something sweet to help get us through the day so try making homemade brownies from scratch with healthier ingredients like sweet potatoes or zucchini.
A Dairy Queen triple chocolate brownie has 540 calories per serving. A healthy homemade triple chocolate brownie has about 187 calories. If cutting calories is on your agenda then baking a healthy batch of triple chocolate brownies would be recommended.
You'd need to walk for 45 minutes, jog for 25 minutes or cycle at a fast pace for roughly 20 minutes to burn 200 calories.
- If you find yourself with the strange problem of having excess brownies don't let them go to waste. Try freezing them for later use as toppings for sundaes or other desserts.
- Pulse your slightly stale leftover over brownies in a food processor until they form coarse crumbs. Store in a Zip Loc freezer bag in your freezer. Sprinkle the frozen crumbs onto ice cream or other desserts.
- If you want to freeze an entire batch of brownies first slice up the entire tray of brownies. Then wrap a piece of waxed paper around the sides of each slice; reassemble the brownies and freeze. Now you can remove as many pieces as you want without defrosting the entire tray.
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you probably already know I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I like to point all of my Recipes with the WW Points System.
This Easy Eggless Triple Chocolate Brownie Recipe is only 5 Points on my app for one serving. Weight Watchers has a new individualized program right now to make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight.
Just plug the ingredients into your WW app to confirm the points for your individual program.
I used to go back and forth between the Purple Plan and the Blue Plan prior to the new program and whenever I hit a plateau I did my own 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which jumpstarted the Fat Burning again, so if you feel stuck try it!
Make sure check out my Newbie WW Tips and Tricks Guide if you are just getting started.
More recipes you will love!!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Grab a copy of my newest book from Amazon if you need an easy to follow Low Carb 30 Day Meal Plan to jump-start your weight-loss. Lose up to 5 lbs in the first week.
Want to stay connected? Make sure you hit SUBSCRIBE HERE...