Are you looking for a delicious healthy meal that is super simple to prepare? These WW Air Fryer Maryland Crab Cakes are the answer.
Only 5 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to bake for a delicious homemade and healthy Weight Watcher air fryer crab cake.
Why are they called Maryland Crab Cakes?
They are called Maryland Crab Cakes because the meat is from the Maryland Blue crabs harvested from the Chesapeake Bay waters.
The signature sweetness of this crab meat sets it apart from all others.
Make sure you check out these tasty companion recipes for you Air Fried Crab Cake Sandwich. Try the Cheesy Chaffles, Air Fryer Beignets, 3 Ingredient Muffins, Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies and my favorite Low Carb Milkshake.
Why make this recipe?
You don't want to miss out on this low calorie crab meat recipe!
- Weight Watcher Friendly - Only 2 points on my WW plan - just plug the ingredients into your app to determine your exact points.
- Mouth watering low calorie meal - It's not easy to find a delish crab cake recipe that fits into a low calorie diet.
- Easy to make - Only 8 ingredients needed for this Old Bay Maryland Crab Cake recipe and only 10 minutes to make.
- Kid friendly - Since you are making these from scratch you can make mini crab cakes for the kids. Just put them on a slider bun and now you have mini crab cake sandwiches for the kids.
- Aroma - The smell of these fresh crab cakes baking in the oven is like walking into one of your favorite seafood restaurants..so yummy!
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- 16 Ounces of Jumbo Lump Crabmeat - you can use imitation crab meat but blue claw jumbo lump crab is the best.
- 2 Tablespoons of Old Bay Seasoning
- ⅔ cup of Seasoned Bread Crumbs - you can use Panko or even cornmeal.
- 4 Mini Sweet Peppers Diced
- 2 Eggs
- ½ Cup Light Mayo
- 2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons of Flour
- A Can of Spray Olive Oil
Don't have Old Bay Seasoning? Make your own.
- 1 Tablespoon of Celery salt
- ¼ Teaspoon of Paprika
- ⅛ Teaspoon of Black Pepper
- ⅛ Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 pinch of Ground Dry Mustard
- 1 pinch of Nutmeg
How to make this recipe:
1: In a large bowl combine the Crabmeat, Old Bay Seasoning, Bread Crumbs, Peppers, Eggs, Mayo & Lemon Juice. Mix together gently.
2: For the preparation of the Crab Cake I grabbed a scoop of the mixture and placed it on my digital food scale and weighed out a 2.5 ounce serving of the mixture and formed it into a patty about 3 inches around and one inch thick.
You can place them on a piece of parchment paper or a plate until you are ready to air fry. Give them a sprinkle of flour.
3: Now that you have made your crab cakes you should have about 8 of them. Open your air fryer drawer and give the basket a spritz of olive oil to coat the bottom.
Now gently place your crab cakes into the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer you will most likely have to cook them in two batches. I could fit 5 in my air fryer.
4: Once you have placed your Crab Cakes in the basket give them a spritz of olive oil, close the draw and cook for 10 minutes at 360 Degrees.
5: Remove your Crab Cakes from the Basket and add in your next batch. If you like them extra crispy feel free to keep them in a couple of extra minutes.
6: Ready to Serve and Eat....Yum!
- Try to use a high quality, lump crab meat. The fresher the better.
- Be gentle when mixing your crab meat. Try not to break up the larger lumps.
- Don't overdue the filler, less is best.
- Chill your crab cakes for 20 to 30 minutes before air frying it will help maintain their shape when baking.
- Don't be shy about adding your own flavors. Crab meat pair well with a variety of fresh herbs like thyme and parsley. You can also change up the breadcrumbs, try using Panko or make your own keto cornbread breadcrumbs for keto crab cakes in the air fryer.
- Use an ice cream scoop and make crab balls in the air fryer, nothing better than Maryland crab balls..so tasty! If you add a little bit of cream cheese and diced jalapeños into the mixture you can make air fryer crab cake poppers.
Crab cakes are totally freezable. Whether they are cooked or uncooked. However, we recommend freezing crab cakes un cooked. This will give them a more robust flavor and make it easier to cook them without them drying out.
Place your frozen crab cakes in a pre heated air fryer basket. Give a spritz of olive oil and air fry for 10-12 minutes at 360 degrees.
Yes you can freeze cooked crab cakes. Put the cakes into either a heavy-duty freezer bag, a Ziploc bag, or an airtight container. Seal well, and label. They will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Crab cakes stay fresh for 3-5 days in the refrigerator as long as you store them in an air tight container. If you decide not to cook them up the same day and wait for a few days your mixture should be fine. If you cannot use the entire batch just freeze the unused portion for the next time.
Are Crabs Healthy to Eat ?
Yes crabs are healthy to eat. Crab meat is low in fat and calories and high in protein and has zero carbs.
Although the body of a crab offers a small amount of meat, the crab legs are full of crab meat that is loaded with vitamins, minerals and rich in Omega 3 Fats.
What is special about Omega 3 Fats?
Omega-3 Fatty acids are essential nutrients that are believed to be important in preventing and managing heart disease by lowering elevated triglyceride levels.
Omega-3- contains both docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic which is beneficial with rheumatoid arthritis, depression, Asthma, ADHD, and Alzheimers.
Clearly foods containing Omega-3 Fats are good for us and we should try to incorporate them into our diet.
What kind of Crabmeat is best for Making crab cakes?
Maryland Lump Crabmeat is the best as it is made up of the larger pieces of crab which make for nice chunky crab cakes.
What foods can you use to compliment Crab Cakes?
- Oven Roasted Veggies
- Sautéed Corn and Bell Peppers
- Herb Roasted Potatoes
- Fresh Green Salad
- Air Fried French Fries
- Buffalo Aioli for Dipping
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you already know I am a lifetime member of Weight watchers so I am always following the Weight Watchers program and calculating the points for my recipes.
These Airfryer Maryland Crab Cakes are only 2 points for one 2.5 ounce Crab Cake on my plan. Just plug the ingredients into your WW app to get your exact points.
What Kitchen tools do you need for this Recipe?
- The Air Fryer
- A good cutting board
- A Sharp knife
- A small digital food scale if you want to portion your Crab Cake servings
Make sure you grab a FREE copy of my Easy Keto Desserts Recipe E Book Here:Print
If you Love this Recipe you must try the Air Fryer Curried Sweet Potato Fritters click Here
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Grab a copy of my newest book from Amazon if you need an easy to follow Low Carb 30 Day Meal Plan to jump-start your weight-loss. Lose up to 5 lbs in the first week.
Embark on a transformative culinary journey with '30 Days of Fat Burning Recipes,' a meticulously crafted guide written by the expert author and food blogger, Susan from Sueseaqpi.com. This comprehensive book seamlessly blends a 30-day meal plan with over 90 delectable low carb recipes, making it an indispensable companion for anyone looking to embrace the keto lifestyle. Susan not only demystifies the world of keto but also imparts invaluable lifestyle tips, acting as your trusted companion on the journey toward success in adopting a low carb lifestyle.