You will love this Super Easy Weight Watchers Spicy Chickpea Stew as a main dish or as a healthy Breakfast drizzled over your favorite crispy toast. Easy to prepare in under 30 minutes.
This mouth watering recipe for Chickpea Stew can also be served as your main dish by serving it with a roasted sweet potato or poured over wild rice or some Tasty Orzo.
This Vegetarian Chickpea stew is a medley of delectable and full bodied flavors. A blend of Organic Chickpeas, Seasoned Tomatoes, Onions, Spinach and Fresh Ginger sautéed in Olive Oil with earthy spices that transform into a robust stew.
Why make this recipe?
For one thing, you don't want to miss out on this amazing recipe!
- Weight Watcher Friendly - Only 1 Point per serving, and delicious!
- A tasty low calorie meal - that is not easy to find!
- Super easy to make - requires only a handful of fresh ingredients and less than 30 minutes to prepare.
- Budget Friendly - costs less than $20.00 to prepare.
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- 2 Teaspoons of Olive Oil
- 2 small Onions Diced
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 2 minced Garlic Cloves
- 2 teaspoons of Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon of Fresh Diced Ginger
- ¼ Teaspoon of Red Pepper Flakes and it you like it really spicy slice up some fresh jalapeños to put on top.
- 1 can of diced Seasoned Tomatoes ( I used Garlic and Oregano Flavor)
- 3 cans of Organic Chickpeas or Cannellini Beans as a substitute
- 1 Bag of Spinach 8-10. If you don't like spinach you use cut Okra
- 1 tablespoon of Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon of Cilantro
- If you like a rich and creamy sauce add in a splash of coconut milk and it will taste just like The NY Times Chickpea Stew.
How to make this recipe:
1: Pour Olive Oil in a large non-stick skillet and warm over a low-medium heat. As the skillet is heating add in your diced onions and ½ of the salt; stir frequently until the onions are softened about 10 minutes. Stir in the Garlic, Cumin and Diced Ginger; cook for 1 minute. Add diced Tomatoes and their juice, and the chickpeas; Stir to combine and mash some of the chickpeas slightly with a Potato Masher.
2: Using tongs, toss in the spinach and drizzle another splash of Olive Oil; cook covered, until the spinach is wilted, tossing the mixture once or twice halfway through about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, cilantro and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and red pepper flakes.
3: Ready to serve!
- For this easy chickpea stew recipe, if you don't have chickpeas you can easily swap them with Cannellini beans as a substitute.
- To make this spicy chickpea recipe richer and creamier like The NY Times Spiced Chickpea Stew recipe a/k/a the Alison Roman Stew try adding in some coconut milk to this Weight Watchers Spicy Chickpea Stew. Just make sure you add in an extra WW point for the additional ingredient.
- Want to cut the carbs in half for this chick-pea stew just cut the chick-pea serving in half and replace with green beans.
See my latest video here:
One cup of chick-peas contains about 269 calories, 4 grams of fat and 34-45 grams of carbs.
Chickpeas a/k/a garbanzo beans are high in protein and fiber making them a highly appealing vegan and vegetarian source of a plant-based protein.
This one pot vegan dish is a super rich source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber, chickpeas may offer a variety of health benefits, such as aiding weight management, helping with digestion, and reducing your risk of disease. In addition, this legume is high in protein and makes a perfect replacement for meat in most vegetarian and vegan dishes.
Yes, you can freeze spiced chickpea stew for about 2 months. Stewed chickpeas freeze really well in an airtight container which then makes perfect midweek meals without any prep work or fuss. Simply defrost overnight then reheat the next day for an easy vegan chickpea stew.
Canned and dried chickpeas will last almost indefinitely if kept stored in a cool, dry place. Once opened, canned chickpeas will last up to a week if refrigerated in an air-tight container.
Is this Weight Watchers Spicy Chickpea Stew Gluten Free?
Yes it is !! If you do not normally pay attention to Gluten in your food you may want to start as it does seem to have some benefits to your body. I try to incorporate Gluten Free foods into my diet as much as possible.
A gluten-free diet can provide many health benefits, especially for people with celiac disease. It may help ease digestive symptoms, reduce chronic inflammation, boost energy and promote weight loss.
What Kitchen Tools do I need to Make this Easy Chickpea Stew Recipe?
Are you a Weight Watcher?
If you follow my Blog you probably already know I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I like to point all of my Recipes with the WW Smart Points System.
This Easy WW Chickpea Stew Recipe is only 1 Smart Point per serving. .
Weight Watchers has a new individualized program right now to make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight.
Just plug the ingredients into your WW app to confirm the points for your individual program.
I used to go back and forth between the Purple Plan and the Blue Plan prior to the new program and whenever I hit a plateau I did my own 30 Day Low Carb Meal Plan which jumpstarted the Fat Burning again, so if you feel stuck try it!
Make sure you grab a FREE copy of my Easy Keto Desserts here...Print
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Grab a copy of my newest book from Amazon if you need an easy to follow Low Carb 30 Day Meal Plan to jump-start your weight-loss. Lose up to 5 lbs in the first week.