Baby carrots and coconut milk give these savory muffins a moist center, while a melt in your mouth cream cheese frosting brings a sweet and creamy flavor to the outside. Muffin lovers this recipe is for you! Bakes up in under 20 minutes. The perfect low calorie breakfast muffin.
- 1 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup of Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup of Unsweetened Light Coconut Milk
- 1/3 cup of Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups of raw shredded/grated carrots
- For Frosting - 2 Ounces of soft light cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar.
- Preheat - Preheat your oven to 425 Degrees F. Line a 12 muffin pan with standard size muffin liners.
- Mix - In a large bowl mix your flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Mix - In a medium bowl mix your egg, coconut milk, brown sugar, oil and vanilla extract. Then add in your grated carrots to the mix and whisk together.
- Pour - Pour carrot cake muffin batter into your muffin cups - fill half way - then bake in over at 425 degrees F for 18 minutes.
- Icing - Make your icing by mixing together 2 ounces of light cream cheese with 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar. When muffins are cooled add your icing and eat!
- If you don't have muffins liners on hand or run out try this muffin liner hack - cut 5 inch squares from a sheet of parchment paper and firmly press them over the base of an inverted drinking glass to shape them. Then place the shaped liners into the muffin cups in your baking pan. Fill and bake as directed.
- For mess free muffin making - Instead of portioning batter into a muffin tin using a spoon or measuring cup - which tend to dribble batter on the counter - try an unusual tool; a canning funnel. The gadget neatly fits into each cup and allows you to deposit batter without any drips.
- Soften your cream cheese with ease - when you need room temperature cream cheese to make frosting and don't have time to wait, speed things up by submerging the foil wrapped package in a bowl of warm water. It should only take about 10 minutes for the cheese to soften.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
- Calories: 179
- Sugar: 7.7 g
- Sodium: 38.3 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.5 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 18.1 mg
Keywords: Carrot Cake Muffin