You'll love this light twist on traditional spaghetti carbonara with peas. The Italian dish traditionally features heavy cream and fatty bacon, but this version is lightened up with healthier ingredients.
The creamy carbonara gets its velvety sauce from a mixture of freshly grated parmesan and eggs. The best part is that the entire meal can be prepared in under 30 minutes.
- 2 Teaspoons of Olive Oil
- 4 Slices of Center Cut Bacon, chopped
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- 6 ounces of spaghetti
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen peas
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh parsley
- Assemble - Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium. Add in your chopped bacon, garlic and onion and cook until crispy about 15 minutes.
- Boil - While your bacon is crisping cook your spaghetti according to the package directions. During the last minutes of cooking drop your peas into the pot of boiling water with your spaghetti.
- Mix - Grab a large mixing bowl add your eggs, grated cheese, salt and pepper and whisk together and set aside.
- Assemble - Grab a 1/4 cup of the hot water from your pasta pot and add it to your cheese and egg mixture. Drain your pasta and peas and add to your skillet with the bacon, onion and garlic and mix up.
- Serve - - Whisk in your egg and cheese mixture with your pasta in the skillet. Place your skillet back over medium low heat and cook stirring until your mixture is very creamy, about 1 minute. Divide your pasta evenly among 4 plates or bowls and sprinkle with some fresh parsley and black pepper. Mangia!!!
- To prevent the burning of your onion and garlic, cook your bacon first..get it crispy and set it aside. Then saute the onion and garlic by themselves in the same pan. Once they are cooked add the bacon back in. By doing this you get an even cook on everything.
- When mixing your pasta with the sauce keep in the skillet and gently fold together with 2 forks.
- Try mixing different grated cheeses like Parmesan and Romano for a heightened flavor.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
- Calories: 373
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 582mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 19g
Keywords: Spaghetti Carbonara