Welcome to my kitchen, where I'm about to share a mouthwatering treat that's as delightful as it is guilt-free.
If you thought healthy Rice Krispie treats were an oxymoron, think again! In today's blog post, we're diving into the world of crispy rice cereal to craft a delectable masterpiece - healthy Rice crispy treats, or as I like to call them, crispy squares of joy.
- 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil
- 3/4 cups of Tahini
- 1/4 cup of Honey
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups of Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1/4 cup of Chocolate Chips
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Spritz of Olive Oil Spray
- Melt your coconut oil, tahini and honey over low heat to medium heat in a small saucepan, Stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until melted. Turn heat off and add a splash of vanilla extract.
- Place your Rice Krispy cereal in a large mixing bowl and pour your melted tahini mixture into your cereal and mix well until all crispy's are coated. You can sprinkle a couple of chocolate chips in the mix as well.
- Add your mixture into a prepared baking pan, I used an 8x8 square pan coated with cooking spray. You could just place a sheet of parchment paper in your pan as well. Spread the mixture over the entire pan in an even layer, press down to flatten smooth.
- Sprinkle some chips and sea salt on top and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and slice with a sharp knife into squares.
- Store them in an airtight container at room temperature. You can place wax paper or plastic wrap between each crisp cereal bar to keep them from sticking together.
- Choose Whole-Grain Cereal: Opt for a whole-grain or brown rice cereal instead of the traditional Rice Krispies. This adds fiber and nutrients to your treat.
- Use Natural Sweeteners: Replace refined white sugar with healthier alternatives like honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar. These sweeteners add flavor without as much processed sugar.
- Nut Butter Binder: Instead of using marshmallows, use natural nut butter (like almond or peanut butter) as a binder. It provides healthy fats and a creamy texture.
- Incorporate Seeds: Add nutrient-rich seeds like chia or flax seeds for extra fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and a delightful crunch.
- Include Dried Fruits: Mix in chopped dried fruits like raisins, apricots, or cranberries for a natural sweetness and additional vitamins.
- Spice it Up: Enhance the flavor with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla extract. These will add depth to your treats without extra calories.
- Low-Fat Dairy: If you want a creamier texture, use some low-fat Greek yogurt. This boosts protein.
- Portion Control: Cut your treats into smaller portions. This can help with portion control and prevent overindulging.
- Less Sweet: Reduce the sweetness of your recipe by gradually decreasing the amount of sweeteners you use. Your taste buds will adjust over time.
- Nut Toppings: Sprinkle chopped nuts, such as almonds or walnuts, on top for added protein, healthy fats, and a delightful crunch.
- Remember that moderation is key, even when making healthier versions of treats. Enjoy your Rice Krispy treats as an occasional indulgence and balance them with a well-rounded, healthy diet. These tips will help you create a more nutritious and satisfying treat without sacrificing flavor.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 treat
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 12.2 g
- Sodium: 58.3 mg
- Fat: 14.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.3 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Healthy Rice Krispie Treats